Thursday, November 26, 2015

Stop Pushing Your Christian Agenda


Disclaimer: Let me start out this post by clarifying that I pretty much never post anything political online. As far as people can tell from my Facebook, Twitter and other social media, I don't have a single political opinion. I don't know who I'm going to vote for and when I do, I probably won't be telling anyone. I can't stand pointless Facebook arguments. So the fact that I'm even making this post says a lot. 

Let me also clarify that this article is written to and for my Christian brothers and sisters in all love and sincerity. It is written so that we can better fulfill our ultimate purpose in life: to love God and love people. Please read with patience and understanding as I am not a scholar or a politician. I'm just a little girl who loves Jesus a whole freaking lot but not nearly enough. If you're here to get in a fight, consider me sitting in a corner wrapped in a snuggie with some tea, holding a puppy: I'm in no position to fight. You win. This article will undoubtably offend some people, but I'm not here to start another pointless argument on the internet. I'm writing this so that less fights will happen. But I'm getting ahead of myself. 

On with the actual article. 




Abortion, gay marriage, healthcare, public school curriculum, presidential elections, wars, immigration. There, I said it. Anybody offended yet? The list goes on and on and I haven't even scratched the surface of things going on in the world that people have very strong opinions about. Just by mentioning some of these things, I'll bet that there are people whose feathers are all ruffled and ready to fight me on whatever their stance is.

You see, my well-meaning-Christian friend, I know where you're coming from. Being a Christian is all about standing up for what you believe in and honoring God in every possible way. That's awesome, it really is. But what I'm trying to get at with this article is this: when we say we're standing up for what we believe in, what are we actually standing up for? 

The 21st-century American church is notorious for standing against things; abortion, gay marriage, the 10 commandments being taken out of schools, and (although I don't think this was actually a thing) red Starbucks cups. We are told to boycott a huge list of businesses and only eat at Chic-fil-a. This article isn't about any one of those things; it's about our heart behind them. (if you would like to know my opinion on any of these things, I'll happily discuss them with you face-to-face and not over the internet. I'll take you out to Starbucks or if that offends you, we can go to Chic-fil-a.)

What concerns me isn't necessarily any one person's opinion on these controversial things. What concerns me is how the church is showing (or not showing) Jesus to the world. 

Let's just pretend for a moment that the conservative agenda wins. Abortion is illegal, gay marriage isn't a thing anymore. Starbucks has to print nativity scenes and bible verses on their cups. Some perfect Christian white dude is made president and "God bless America" is printed everywhere. What are we actually accomplishing? If people still don't know the wonderful savior who beckons them with love, all is for nothing. 

Forcing people to act like Christians is a great way to make nobody want to actually be a Christian. 

We need to get to the heart of the issue and realize that we're not called to change the outward behavior of people so that everyone acts like a good Christian. We are to live in a way that makes people want to fall in love with Jesus. This is such a risky thing because the results suddenly aren't up to us; they're up to God. We're a bunch of little control freaks (myself included) who want everyone to act and think just like we do. God's grace? Something out of our control? That sounds scandalous.

It's much easier to post a snarky quote on Facebook or wear a cheesy t-shirt than it is to actually get to know someone. It's much easier to sign a petition than it is to look into the eyes of a frightened pregnant teenage girl. It's so much easier to stop shopping at certain stores because they support "the gays" or "those muslims" than it is to actually, like, befriend someone who lives differently than you.

Guilty as charged. I'm writing this article to myself. 

Maybe if we actually got outside of our Christian bubble, we'd realize something: there is no such thing as "those" people. We all are just people. Broken, hurting, human people. There's no "us" versus "them."  

In case you weren't aware, the socio-political situation in Jesus' time sucked. Jesus could have easily rallied people around him to stand against all the things the Roman government was doing. In fact, most people expected Jesus to do that. But Jesus did something revolutionary instead. He simply loved people. He really, really loved. people.

Jesus didn't tell people to clean themselves up before coming to him; he touched lepers. 

Jesus didn't ask what people's political views were before befriending them; he chose tax collectors.

Jesus didn't judge by people's social standings or race; he spoke with a socially-shamed samaritan woman. 

Jesus didn't chose people based on their backgrounds; he used former prostitutes to establish the plans of God. 

Jesus' grace is altogether out of our control and that's what frightens us. We'd much rather stay behind our white picket fences and rant about what's wrong with the world and how we need to vote to stop those people on the other side. Jesus actually went to the other side. He died for "those" people. 

I'm not saying that you shouldn't have an opinion on abortion or gay marriage or immigration laws. I'm saying that first things need to come first. 


Jesus replied, “‘You must love the Lord your God with all your heart, all your soul, and all your mind.’ This is the first and greatest commandment. A second is equally important: ‘Love your neighbor as yourself.’ The entire law and all the demands of the prophets are based on these two commandments.” - Matthew 22:37-40


Jesus never commanded us to change other people's outward behavior. He never once said that we need to make sure that everybody acts like Christians do. He told us to love people. When you really, truly love someone, you can't leave them the way you found them. You are patient and kind, loving them right were they are; no matter where that is. Their behavior may eventually change, but your top priority is the person, not just their actions. When you don't like someone, you force them to change before you will befriend them. There is a huge difference. 

As the church, the body of Christ, we should be known for loving people. We should be known for what we stand for (loving God and loving people) rather than just what we stand against

So by all means, shop where you want and get a good chicken sandwich. Vote for what you believe is right. But please realize that the second our political views get in the way of us loving people, we are the ones who are sinning. When our goal is anything other than loving the people that Jesus sacrificed himself for, we are pushing the wrong agenda. 

Have political opinions, sure. But always let love be our top priority and only goal.


"By this everyone will know that you are my disciples, if you love one another." - John 13:35


6 comments:

  1. Fan. Freakin. Tastic! You go, girl!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love it! Thank you. Felt God's word all though that! Thank you. Inspirational and well written

    ReplyDelete
  3. As the old saying ascribed to Augustine of Hippo says, "In the essentials, unity. In the non-essentials, liberty. In all things, charity." Not bad for an old dude, huh?

    Great blog, Suz!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I absolutely agree with you premise: we are to love others as ourselves. Other things tend to get in the way of that, of course, and we do our best to correct them (though usually before failing once again - God's mercy is wonderful). I agree with your points on this. However, I do have some polite objections you may have overlooked. My political world view likely differs from yours, so take this as you will.

    The 21st Century church has done a great job of preaching Jesus' love, but often fails to go further than this. God is also a god of great wrath and jealousy. The God of the Old Testament is also the God of the New. We often forget this, and to disastrous consequence. There is punishment to be meted out at the end of this life, and/or while we're still in it.

    God judges the nations as a whole, too. America will be judged. The United Kingdom will be judged. Saudi Arabia will be judged, and so on and so forth...

    We most certainly can't force anyone to be Christian, nor would I ever advocate for that. Free will and liberty are two of the most basic natural rights we have. But what does it say when we quietly allow agendas that go against the will of our God to flourish? Are we not guilty if we do nothing? What happens if we allow for the further murder of the unborn? Silence is equivalent to compliance.

    This is why it is extremely important to be involved in the political process. I understand that some people might not be interested in it (I honestly don't understand why not), and some people may tire of the bickering, but that's life. If you really want it to change, you've got to be involved. Your vote and opinions count. They matter. You can change policy, for better or worse. Through action or inaction.

    I urge you to pick a side, get involved in discussion, and make this country the best you can imagine. I don't want a theocracy, but I do want liberty. We've already lost so much of it: it would be a shame to go down without a fight. I believe that God is watching this even more than we are.

    Anyway, food for thought. But don't be afraid to get your feet wet.

    ReplyDelete